Thursday, June 21, 2007

Why I'm Not Getting an iPhone

You didn't misread the title. I'm not purchasing an iPhone. Some people have their reasons, to me it comes down to asking myself what I'm buying and whether it's worth it. I should preface this post with this. By all accounts I should be lining up first day to buy one. Reason number one, my Cingular servitude is running up this August. I'm familiar with their network, I'm a valued customer, and probably a shoe-in for a renewal. Reason number two, I recently purchased a Macbook Pro. Mac users have been waiting eons for the ability to sync a PDA with iCal with Apple-like serendipity. If I want a good PDA that will truly be effortless in setup, another Apple product is the way to go. This is because there is not a snowballs chance in hell a Blackjack running Windows Mobile whatever is gonna sync with iCal. I haven't personally looked into it and maybe I'm wrong but this seems pretty obvious that I shouldn't keep my hopes up. Reason number three, my demographic. A 23 year old male with a decent job and very tech knowledgeable shouldn't have any qualms over getting a hip iPhone.

With all of those great reasons, why am I not getting out my camping gear? For starters, I seriously don't have the spare 500 dollars to justify getting something that will litter ally have to replace many electronic devices I already own. I have a 60 gig iPod for music and movies, a black Razr for phone calls, rudimentary web surfing, and texting, and a black DS Lite for gaming (and maybe web surfing, more on that later). Replacing all of these things would be great, but its not like its a heavy burden to carry them. Also, having an all in one device just means that when it gets stolen you lose all functionality.

Would I buy a cool Apple phone/PDA with no iPod built in? Sure, especially if the user input wasn't a touch screen (seriously I have big fingers, hard to pinpoint), but for right now for me, it looks like I'm going to have to experience the iPhone through someone else. Which is fine for me, because right now I don't really think I need it.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I thought for sure you'd get one of those. Why not? Is it really the money?