Friday, May 18, 2007

Army Blocks Youtube, Myspace, Fun Times

First thing is first. I don't know why this is so much a big deal. Yes, it sucks that our soldiers can't talk to people on Myspace (which in some circles is the only method of communication) but I don't think its censorship. Basically, not only is it a security risk but streaming Youtube is heavy on bandwidth uses. Is it fair? Not really. But my work doesn't even let me access my blog competely. Its not out of malice but basically they don't want our workers destroying the network with traffic thats not legit traffic but rather traffic that makes money. Same problem but on a worldwide, closed network.

I don't understand how this is censorship. Pretty much I just feel that its not out of reach of speculation that all of that traffic would cause congestion. People put so many pictures and movies that its even worse then Youtube on a good day.

In the end I guess it looks bad on the military again, and especially while they deserve it more often then not. I guess in my humble opinion, this time its unwarrented.

Link

No comments: