Wednesday, May 16, 2007

How Very Meta of You

Consumption of news is changing by the minute this seems, but what seems interesting is what it means. I am by no means normal, but what I notice is that people are aggregating news more often. For example I use Google Reader to read things that I frequent on the web, but the downside is that doesn't lead to content discovery. For that I use StumbleUpon or Digg to find new things that other people think are cool, and continue the consumption. But all of that is very digital. I don't mind sitting in front of a computer staring at a screen, but reading a newspaper on the loo is equally as nice. One thing I can't get enough of is the podcasting scene. Granted, now I'm a Mac convert (really I'm OS agnostic, but anyway) so podcasting has always been an easy endeavor. Something else though that's important for the podcasting formula is that you have to be free to listen to it for an hour or so daily, whether in the car or what have you, and to that end sometimes NPR is way better at keeping you up-to-date.

In the end, I'm just amazed at the level of opinion there is to be had on the web. The very fact there is a blogosphere mystifies me. People commenting on peoples comments who read from a Digg thread about a rumor from someone else who twittered it from a convention floor. Seriously people, that's enough. When you Digg something about a post on BoingBoing which got it from oddball section of Reuters...at what point do we just buy a newspaper.

Disclaimer: If you don't understand what in the world is being said, don't worry at all. To be honest, its only important to the people involved and is probably an adult version of the fervor Myspace creates. The only reason why it gets interesting at all is again an easier way to digitally stalk someone. That being said, if you want to find my digital footprint, just google my pseudonym DeathscytheH64, which I imagine is infinitely easier to find out what I'm doing then finding my address and driving in front of my house.

No comments: